NRL “Rickettsiae and tissue cultures”
Head of Laboratory:
Assist. Prof. Petia Genova-Kalou Ph.D., Virologist
Staff of the Laboratory:
Ekaterina Mihailova – Senior medical laboratory assistant
Katia Georgieva-Dimitrova - laboratory assistant
National Centre of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (NCIPD)
Department of Virology, NRL “Rickettsiae and tissue cultures”
44A “Gen. Stoletov” Blvd., 1233 Sofia
Work time: from 07:30 till 14:30
Laboratory "Rickettsiae and tissue cultures" was founded in 2013 from the merger of Lab. "Cell culture" and NRL "Rickettsiae and Chlamydiae". The laboratory carries out diagnostic, research training, organizational and methodical activities in the field of rickettsiae and chlamydiae.
In the NRL "Rickettsiae and tissue cultures" are performed diagnostic tests of endemic for the country rickettsiae - Q fever and Marseilles fever and Chlamydia infections, caused by Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Chlamydia psittaci and infections caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. All studies are performed with human serum or plasma. Diagnosis is done by classical and modern molecular biological techniques. Used are the following methods: indirect enzyme immunoassay qualitative assay (ELISA) for the diagnosis of IgG/IgM antibodies against Coxiella burnetii Ph. II and Ph. I, and a conventional PCR, nested (inserted) PCR and others for proof of Coxiella burnetii DNA in human serum samples; indirect enzyme immunoassay semiquantitative assay (ELISA) for the diagnosis of IgG/IgM antibodies against Rickettsia conorii in human serum samples; indirect enzyme immunoassay semiquantitative assay (ELISA) for the diagnosis of IgG/IgM/IgA antibodies against Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Chlamydia trachomatis and Mycoplasma pneumoniae in human serum samples and indirect micro-immunofluorescent test (MIF) for the detection of antibodies of classes IgM/IgG against Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydophila pneumoniae and Chlamydia psittaci.
The laboratory is accredited to BDS/ISO 17025: 2006 as Sector "Rickettsiae and Chlamydiae" of LIK NCIPD, and is the only lab in the country accredited by BDS 17025: 2006.
Every year the quality of diagnostic work in the laboratory is controlled and certified by the Institute of standardization and documentation of medical laboratories INSTAND, Dusseldorf, Germany.
The laboratory has a collection of over 50 different types of human and animal cell lines necessary for routine diagnosis of NRL "Enteroviruses" and NRL «Influenza and ARD» and to realize the research of all departments in NCIPD.
As a National Reference Laboratory of "Rickettsiae and tissue cultures" organize and conduct twice yearly quality control of the diagnostic work of the laboratory network in the country for the diagnosis of IgG antibodies against Chlamydia trachomatis.
The laboratory keeping up and cooperate with microbiological laboratories of Regional Health Inspection, University Hospital, DCC and private Microbiological and Virological laboratories, Microbiological Laboratory of Infectious Hospitals in the country, Department of Microbiology and Virology at the Medical University in Sofia, Varna, Plovdiv, Pleven and Stara Zagora, as and laboratory of «Rickettsiae " to the Bulgarian National Agency for Food (BNAF), National Diagnostic Research Veterinary Institute, Sofia.
The laboratory carry out profiled courses under the SDO for acquiring the medical specialty "Virology" of doctors and biologists. Annually organized outside Continuing Education of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as Probation Practice and preparation of theses of masters from various specialties. In the laboratory successfully developed and protected three theses by students of Biological Faculty of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski” and UCTM – Sofia for acquiring degrees “Bachelor” and “Master”.
The laboratory work and annually presents research projects for the Research Fund of Ministry of Education and Sciences. Participates in the implementation of national and international projects with Croatia, Macedonia, Italy and others. The laboratory specializes in testing the cytotoxicity and anti-viral activities of newly synthesized substances and natural products in vitro. Regularly publishes the results of its work in specialized international and Bulgarian scientific journals and reports of national and international scientific forums.
Requirements for performing of laboratory testing:
- All studies are performed with human serum or plasma.
- The sample is placed in a plastic disposable tube.
- The sample to be in a sufficient amount (3-5 mL).
- In the case of examination for diagnostic purposes, samples are taken before the start of antibiotic treatment.
- If carried out antibiotic therapy, the study, it should be carried at least 20 days after completion.
- The sample to be accompanied by a covering letter (note sheet direction) containing visibly and legibly information: hospital and doctor sending sample; Names of the patient; age; sex; diagnosis; the type of research that is required; the date of taking the material.
- Tubes such with interrupted wholeness with flowing material, non-sterile without covering letter are not accepted in the laboratory for testing.
- Ivanova Stefka, Petia Genova-Kalou, Daniela Pencheva, Zafira Mihneva. A combined serological and molecular approach to the laboratory testing of patients with reactive arthritis - detection of parvovirus B19 and Chlamydia trachomatis. Comp. Ren.de l’Acad. Bulg. Des. Sci., 2016, 69 (2), 197 - 202. (IF = 0.284)
- Stefka Kr. Ivanova, Petia D. Genova-Kalou, Silvia Em. Voleva, Svetla G. Angelova, Borislav M. Marinov, Viktor Em. Manolov, Stoian Shishkov. Infectious Agents and Miscarriage in Bulgaria. American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS), 2016, 25(1), 1 - 10. (IF = 0.296)
- Voleva S., Ivanova S., Marinov B., , V. Manolov, V. Vasilev. New approach in the diagnostic algorithm of infectious agents (parvovirus B19 and Chlamydia trachomatis) involved in the development of pathological pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016, 55(3), 3 – 10.
- Adelina P. Pavlova, Stefka Kr. Ivanova, Petia D. Genova-Kalou. The role of some viral and rickettsial agents in the development of unclear febrile illness accompanied by a rash.Medical Magazine, 2016, 35, 38 - 44.
- Daniela Pencheva, Tzvetan Velinov, Petia Genova-Kalou, Todor Kantardjiev. The hybrid nanomaterial PVA/AgNps, as biologically active product with reserved space in the antimicrobial therapy. Letters in Applied NanoBioScience, 2016, 5 (3): 422 – 438.
- Pencheva D., Velichkova E., Sandarov D., Cardoso A., Mileva M., Genova-Kalou P., Bryaskova R. Experimental Research of “Ghost” Escherichia Coli O 104. JournalVaccinesandVaccination, 2015, 6 (4), 4 pages.
- PenchevaVelichkovaE., SandarovD., CardosoA., MilevaM., Genova-KalouP., BryaskovaR. Experimental study on the components in poly-valent "ghost" Salmonella vaccine for veterinary use. Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015, Vol. 2015 (2015), Article ID 101464, 4 pages. (IF = 1.644)
- Radka Argirova, Raina Nenova, Dimitar Ivanov, Petia Genova-Kalou, Sevda Raleva. Experimental model to study co-infection of human immunodeficiency virus – type 1 (HIV-1IIIB) and influenza virus in cell culture. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment, 2015, 6 pages. (IF = 0.300)
- Mileva M., Pencheva D., Bryaskova, R., Genova-Kalоu P., Kantardjiev T. Experimental treatment of recurrent otitis externa. Open Veterinary Journal, 2015, 5(1), 38 - 41.
- Genova-Kalou, P., J. Cherneva, M. Jordanova, A. Jordanova. The serological evaluation of the cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Chlamydia pneumoniae infections in patients with cardiovascular diseases (CVDs). J. Sc. & Techn., Medicine, 2013, 3(1), 26 - 31.
- Benedetti F., Berti F., Budal S., Campaner P., Dinon F., Tossi A., Genova P., Atanassov V., Hinkov A. Synthesis and biological activity of potent HIV-1 protease inhibitors based on Phe-Pro dihydroxyethylene isosters. J Med Chem, 2012, 55, 3900 – 3910. (IF = 5.589)
- Amino acid and peptide esters of abacavir: synthesis and activity against human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in cell culture. Med Chem Res., 2012, 21 (12), 4053 – 4059. (IF = 1.436)
- Genova-Kalou, P., Dundarova, D., Idakieva, K., Mohmmed, A., Dundarov, S., Argirova, R. (2008). Anti-herpes effect of the hemocyanin derived from mollusc Rapana Thomasiana. Z Naturforsch, 63с, р. 429 – 434. (IF = 0.776)
- Kovala-Demertzi, D.,Varadinova, Genova, P., Souza, Demertzis, M. A. Platinum(II) and Palladium(II) Complexes of Pyridine-2-carbaldehyde Thiosemicarbazone as Alternative anti-Herpes Simplex Virus Agents. Bioinorg Chem Appl, Published online, Article ID 56165, 1 - 6. (IF = 1.265)
5. Pencheva, D., Genova-Kalou, P., Bryaskova, R. Comparative study of methods for inactivation of vaccines in development process of veterinary “ghost” vaccine. Comptes Rendus de L'Academie Bulgare des Sciences, 2016, 69(5), 675 - 682. (IF = 0.284)