LABORATORY OF EXPERIMENTAL AND APPLIED PARASITOLOGY (LEPP)
Head: Assoc. Prof. Rumen Harizanov, MD, PhD,
- Genka Toteva - medical technician
- Maria Popova - laboratory help
Main activities of the laboratory staff are connected with:
- Obtaining and characterization of antigens from some parasitic species: Toxoplasma gondii, Trichinella spiralis, Leishmania spp., Entamoeba histolytica
- Development of bioproducts for serological diagnostics and culture media for some parasitic diseases such as:
- ELISA test kits for the detection of IgG antibodies in echinococcosis, trichinellosis, toxoplasmosis
- Indirect haemagglutination (IHA) tests for toxoplasmosis and trichinellosis
- Culture media for the cultivation of T. vaginalis, E. histolityca, B. hominis
- Immune rabbit sera against T. gondii, E. granulosus, T. spiralis
- The research work of the laboratory staff is directed to study the possibilities for the application of new serological methods for diagnosis of parasitoses and analyze the impact of the parasite on the human immune system. Professor Ognyan Mikov conducts research studies on parasite vectors such as mosquitoes and sand flies.He is involved in field collection of parasite vectors and laboratory determination of medical arthropods
- Educational activity is carried out according to the program for postgraduate training, organized in NCIPD.
- Experts of the laboratory also are involved in the preparation of the annual analysis of parasitic morbidity in the country, development of national programs and research projects.