NATIONAL CENTRE OF INFECTIOUS AND PARASITIC DISEASES
DEPARTMENT OF VIROLOGY
NRL ,,HEPATITIS VIRUSES”
Address: Stoletov Blvd. 44A, Sofia 1233
Tel:+ 359 2 8329118
Head of NRL ,,Hepatitis viruses”: TenchoTenev, MD
- Assistant Professor Elica Golkocheva-Markova,PhD – biologist
- Chijdem Ismailova, MSc – biologist
- Viliana Yoncheva, MSc – biologist
The main activities of the NRL ,,Hepatitis viruses” are the diagnosis of hepatotropic viruses by serological and molecular methods. The following hepatitis markers are detected:
- for Hepatitis A virus (HAV) - Anti-HAV IgM and Anti-HAV IgG;
- for Hepatitis B virus (HBV) - Anti-Hbc IgM, Anti-Hbc IgG, Anti-Hbe, HbeAg, Anti-HBs, HBV DNA and HBV genotype;
- for Hepatitis D Virus (HDV) - Anti-HDV IgM and Anti-HDV IgG;
- for Hepatitis C Virus ( HCV) - Anti-HCV and HCV RNA;
- for Hepatitis E virus ( HEV) - Anti-HEV IgM and Anti-HEV IgG.
Diagnostic activities related to serological detection follow the accredited standard BDS ENISO/IEC17025.
Participation in inter-laboratory and international control
The NRL “Hepatitis viruses” is responsible for the organization of national internal control in medical laboratories that perform diagnosis of hepatotropic viruses.
The laboratory participates in international external control of quality assurance and standardization in laboratory medicine, conducted by INSTAND, Germany.
The NRL ,,Hepatitis viruses” provides training programs for graduate and PhD students, and postgraduate training for healthcare professionals.
The main research topics of the NRL “Hepatitis viruses” are:
- Genotype distribution of HCV and HBV in patients with acute or chronic infection, in general population and in risk groups, such as intravenous drug users.
- Development of post vaccinated anti-HBV response.
- Distribution and role of HEV infection among non-A non-C viral hepatitis.
- Golkocheva-Markova E., Ivanova St., Ivanova M., Gekova I., Stoilov N., Konstantinova A., Alexiev I., Stoilov R., Teoharov P. Prevalence of markers for hepatitis B virus infection among patients with ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis. J. BioSci. Biotechnol.,2015, SE/ONLINE:87-90.
- Alexiev, A. Shankar,R. Dimitrova, A. Gancheva, A. Kostadinova, P. Teoharov, E. Golkocheva, M. Nikolova, M. Muhtarova, I. Elenkov, M. Stoycheva, D. Nikolova, T. Varleva, and W. M. Switzer Origin and spread of HIV-1 in persons who inject drugs in Bulgaria.Infection, Genetics and Evolution (2016).doi:10.1016/j.meegid.2016.05.029
- Alexandrova, E. Golkocheva-Markova, A. Timcheva, N. Yancheva, I. Elenkov, I. Alexiev, P. Teoharov, T. Varleva, M. Nikolova. HCV co-infection compromising the effects of c-ART – an insight from the HIV-positive population in Bulgaria. IJSR., 2016; 5 (9): 1732-1735.
- Roberto Bruni; Stefania Taffon; Michele Equestre; Eleonora Cella; Alessandra Lo Presti; Angela Costantino; Paola Chionne; Elisabetta Madonna; ElitsaGolkocheva-Markova; Diljana Bankova; Massimo Ciccozzi; Pavel Teoharov; Anna Rita Ciccaglione. Hepatitis A virus genotypes and strains from an endemic area of Europe, Bulgaria 2012-2014. BMC INFECTIOUS DISEASES.,2017; 17: 497 DOI 10.1186/s12879-017-2596-1. IF: 2.768
- Maria Pishmisheva, Magdalena Baymakova, Elitsa Golkocheva-Markova, Todor Kundurzhiev, Roman Pepovich, Georgi T. Popov, Ilia Tsachev. First Serological Study Of Hepatitis E Virus Infection In Pigs In Bulgaria. Compt. Rend. Acad. Bulg. Sci. In pressIF:0.251
- Stefka Kr. Ivanova, Svetla G. Angelova, Elitsa N. Golkocheva-Markova, Petia D. Genova-Kalou, Adelina P. Pavlova, Irina L. Georgieva. A Review on Dried Blood Spots (DBS) as Alternative, Archival Material for Detection of Viral Agents (Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis B Virus). ASRJETS, 2017; Volume 30, No 1, pp 161-172
- Komitova, A. Kevorkian, M Atanasova, E. Golkocheva. Hepatitis A – foe or friend?, General Medicine [Bulgarian], 2017; 19 (3): 18 – 24.