44A Gen. Stoletov Blvd., Sofia 1233
The Department of Virology was founded in 1958 based on the place of the first virologic unit of smallpox and rabies in Bulgaria which was created in 1881. Since 2016 the Department of Virology is headed by assoc. prof. Lubomira Nikolaeva-Glomb, MD, PhD.
Head of the Department of Virology: assoc. prof. Lubomira Nikolaeva-Glomb, MD, PhD
Tel.: +(359-2) 831 00 42
Currently, the following national reference laboratories operate in the Department:
• National Reference Laboratory "Influenza and ARD"
• National Reference Laboratory "Hepatitis Viruses"
• National Reference Laboratory "Herpes and Oncogenic Viruses"
• National Reference Laboratory "Enteroviruses"
• National Reference and Confirmatory Laboratory for HIV
• National Reference Laboratory "Measles, mumps and rubella"
• National Reference Laboratory "Rickettsia and Tissue Cultures"
The Department of Virology is accredited according to BDS ENISO / IEC 17025 in connection with the diagnosis of viral infections by certain methods.
The staff of the Department executes multiplefunctions. In addition to the main diagnostic activities research scientific work is carried out, as well training and teaching. Learning and teaching is focused in two main directions - postgraduate training of specialists –medical doctors and biologists for acquiring the clinical specialization invirology and PhD, MS and BS students training in virology.
Participation in the inter-laboratory and external quality assessment
The Department of Virology executes a bi-annual national inter-laboratory control for the laboratories in Bulgaria that performvirological testing in accordance with the medical standard of virology.
On the other hand, the Department of Virology participates in several international inter-laboratory controls.